Sunday, February 24, 2013

"It's how we relate to things that causes us to suffer"

“It isn't the things that happen to us in our lives that cause us to suffer, it's how we relate to the things that happen to us that causes us to suffer.”
~   Pema Chödrön

I just think this is SO relevant to our every moment of every day experience.  If we can wake up every day and remind ourselves of this, we have the opportunity to redirect and transform our lives!  We so often want to blame our emotions on our situation, or our actions on what types of behaviors have been thrusted onto us by our co-workers, family or friends. 

If we could just take a moment to ourselves..... after something troubling happens..... to remember that we have a choice.  We have a choice to either allow the situation to trigger a negative quality of feeling, or to consciously choose to respond in a way that benefits our well-being in the grand scheme of things.  Sometimes this means confronting something challenging within us to take us to a place of peace. Sometimes it may mean choosing to replace the negative thoughts that are flooding our mind with thoughts that inspire positive emotions. 

We always have a choice in where we focus our attention.  I find that sometimes when things feel completely unbearable,  I try simply putting my awareness on my breath watching it move in and out.  After a minute or two of this, I feel like the situation has less of a grip on my thoughts and emotions.  It gives me some space between me and the situation.  With that, I can redirect my internal experience to a better place.  When I remember to do this in the heat of the moment, it greatly benefits me and can change the whole course of my day.

Other times it may mean practicing compassion or forgiveness towards another person, and then letting it go and moving along with our day.  Sometimes this task alone can feel next to impossible.  If we could see that the alternative of getting angry only feeds on itself, to the point of potentially ruining our entire day, we may try something else!  So next time something happens that brings up negative emotions within you, see if you can try something different.  Try relating to what happened in a new way.  If you do what you have always done, you're going to get what you've always gotten.  So try something different and see what happens.  You may be surprised!

If you are interested in a free health consultation, please visit me at restoringhealthybalance.com
    Posted by Picasa

    1 comment:

    1. Great advice!!!! We all can certainly benefit from changing our responses to negative situations!

      ReplyDelete